Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Race: Director's Note

“Race” is provocative.

“Race” is uncomfortable.

“Race” is prominent.

However, this play is more than about race. Each of the individual characters plays a key part in the makeup of society and in the themes throughout this production: sexism, morality, sexual misconduct, classism, prejudices, America’s
justice system, and... race.

As an African-American woman who has been both sexually assaulted and discriminated against, I was still able to look at this play from many angles. As I read it, I agreed and disagreed with each character, I believed and distrusted each character, I related to and dissociated with each character. That’s why I knew I had the right project in my hands.
As with many David Mamet plays, great dialogue, thought provoking subjects, and ambiguity are all themes in this production. Having the opportunity to direct a piece of art that causes audiences to think, take journeys with the actors, have self-discoveries, and talk long after the show is over, is not lost on me. That’s what I want to feel when I’m involved in theater as a creator or as patron… and that is my goal with this project.

As members of society, our backgrounds, beliefs and biases make up our perceptions. Our perceptions are our reality. However, as members of the audience, I hope you enter with an open mind and leave with a broad sense of “I don’t know.” Continue the dialogue. Talk about sexism; talk about morals; talk about sexual misconduct; talk about classism, talk about prejudice; talk about the injustice system in this country… Keep the dialogue going.
This play is more than about race.


Kimberly Ridgeway
Director 

No comments:

Post a Comment