Monday, May 21, 2018

Three Days of Rain: A Word from the Director


Three Days of Rain has been on my bucket list for many years now and due to rights restrictions or other conflicts, it’s only now coming to life on the Dragon stage as my last show in my last year as the Artistic Director of Dragon. This makes it that much more special for me to be able to tell this story with three wonderfully talented and lovely actors and to present it to you, the Dragon audience. This is a beautiful story about familial disconnectedness (with which many of us are familiar), and the loneliness of intimacy. The legacy that these two young architects have created and passed down to their children – whether they wanted that burden or not – plays out in the relationships that the characters have with each other and those around them. This story allows us to understand more of our own assumptions or misunderstandings about our own parents, whether we are close with them or they were taken from us too early. It’s also so special to me as a director and for the actors because in the Act II the same performers play the parents of their Act I characters. If you know my work you’ll know I love stories that give actors the terrific challenge of playing multiple characters. Thank you for sharing this heart-warming and sometimes heart-breaking tale with me.

I give special thanks to my wonderful cast (Tasi, Robert, and Katie), my wonderful production team (Rachel, Kat, Nate, Karl, John, Jess, and Jacqueline), and the amazing support staff behind the scenes of Dragon (Kim, Taylor, Max, Alika, Josiah, Nancy, and Karen). I wouldn’t have wanted to go on this roller-coaster ride with anyone else. 

Thank you!

Meredith Hagedorn
Founding Artistic Director of Dragon Productions Theatre

No comments:

Post a Comment