Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Caeneus & Poseidon: An Interview With Mylissa Malley


Picture
Mylissa Malley, who plays one of our sea nymphs, tells us about herself and her process as an actor in our next interview. Thanks Mylissa!

Which character do you play?
One of the Nerieds, as recently named by myself, Omi.

What are you most looking forward to about playing this character? Is there anything that is particularly challenging about playing this character?
This is my first time playing a character who really only cares about herself, and what benefits and pleases her. I don't want to give away any spoilers but I'd say that should my character have any changes of heart and not be in it solely for herself, finding that hypothetical place would be the most challenging. I've having a lot of fun playing a character who likes to annoy other characters for fun, and sink ships. She's big on sinking ships.

Have you been involved with Dragon Theatre before? How?
I participated in a Monday Night Play Space event with my new murder mystery company The Clue Collective. We test ran a show there with this fantastic program they have on Mondays. It gave us a lot of good information going forward both for the business aspect of the company, and the entertainment aspect of the play.

What other theatre projects do you have coming up?
Immediately after Caeneus and Poseidon closes I go into rehearsals for Evita at Pacific Coast Repertory Theatre, in Pleasanton. We'll be performing end of April through May 14.

How do you prepare for a role? Is there anything special you do to get into the mindset of a character you're playing? 
I always start with the text. What does this character want, and why. Is there anything she says where she gives a clear opinion on anything. I use that information for figure out how I can connect her to myself, and my life, and build out from there. For shows, I always do a physical warm up, in the space I'll be performing in, while listening to a playlist of music that I feel defines the character.

What is your dream role?
Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady.

Who’s your favorite mythological character? (doesn’t have to be Greek)
I really like the myths of mermaids and selkies, so it's great that I get to play with ocean mythological creatures in this show.

Anything else you'd like to share with us?
When I'm not on stage I rock climb, and I'm really thrilled to have a set to climb all over. 
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment