Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Caeneus & Poseidon: An Interview with Roman Rimer

The next of our interviews with cast and crew is with Roman Rimer, whom we are grateful to have as one of our script consultants. Roman will also be part of our post-show panel on March 26 - see our home page for details.


Picture
1. What is your role in this production?  
Script Consultant

2. Can you tell us a bit about your background and experience? How did you get into this aspect of theatre? 
I've been a writer and performer for over a decade.  I've written and performed several one person shows, as well as studied, performed and taught longform improv. I've spoken on gender identity at colleges and universities and I've also worked as a community organizer.  Activism has played a major role in the creative work I produce for myself and others, wanting to ensure people whose voices are not usually heard are given precedence.  When I heard the production was looking for trans voices to assist with the script and character development, I gladly accepted. Art offers us the opportunity to look at ourselves. For trans and GNC (gender non conforming) folks, often times we do not see ourselves in works of art, or if we do, they're skewed mockeries. It's crucial everybody, especially trans youth, understand our existence in this world is not only valid, but necessary.

3. Is this your first time being involved with Dragon Theatre? If not, in what capacities have you been involved before? 
Yes, first time

4. What is your favorite part of what you do? What is the most challenging thing about what you do?
Ensuring this trans character is crafted and seen through a relatable lens. Every trans person's journey is unique, and it can feel difficult to incorporate as authentic and humane universal portrayal into the character as one can. I can only speak from my own experience -  I feel the need to make up for the times I was not listened to, or the times I felt unseen. For me, that's an important element in being an artist.

5. Are there any moments or scenes in this play that pose a particular challenge for you? 
The moments when actions and words fueled by misogyny and transphobia are used against Caeneus. Growing up in a society where most people assume not only that gender is binary, and that ours is predetermined before we are even born and can speak for ourselves, is very troubling and at times traumatic. Seeing this played out even in a fictional realm is difficult.  I remember when it's been used against me and folks I know. It happens directly and indirectly and it's what a lot of us deal with on a daily basis. As the political climate is rife with "leaders" who espouse and enact many forms of discrimination, this is one more reminder of our daily lives. It's evocative of the corruption and violence enacted by heinous men in positions of power. 

6. What other theatre projects do you have coming up?
I host of the podcast The Weekly Review at Mutiny Radio Fridays from noon-2pm.  Folks can listen live or to archives at mutinyradio.fm

7.  Who’s your favorite mythological character? (Doesn’t have to be Greek)
Medusa

8. Anything else you’d like to tell us about yourself?
I'm grateful for all the trans folks who came before and paved the way. We are here because so many people fought and dedicated their lives to trans liberation. While great strides have been made, there's still a ways to go.
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment